Chicago Temple First United Methodist Church
|Official name:||First United Methodist Church at the Chicago Temple|
|Also known as||
First Methodist Episcopal Church
77 West Washington Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602
|Designed by||Holabird & Roche|
- Seating capacity: 1,000 people
- At the time of its completion, this was the tallest building in Chicago.
- This building is faced with grey and white Bedford oolitic limestone from Indiana.
- The stained glass windows were created by the Giannini & Hilgart Studios.
- The main altar in the first floor sanctuary was carved by Alois Lang in Oberammergau, Germany. It shows Jesus weeping over Jerusalem as he descends from the Mount of Olives.
- The altar in the sky chapel depicts Jesus looking over the skyline of Chicago.
- The sky chapel's structural beams are in the shape of Saint Andrew's crosses.
- The organ has 92 ranks with four manuals.
- 1834: A log cabin ws built just north of the Chicago River for this congregation.
- 1837: The cabin was moved to the corner of Clark and Washington Streets, which is also the location of the present building.
- 1845: A brick building was erected to replace the log cabin.
- 1858: A four-story building was built to replace the earlier brick structure. The church was on the upper two floors.
- 1871: The building was destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire. It was immediately rebuilt.
- 1922: Construction began on this building.
- 1924: This building was dedicated.
- 1952: The sky chapel was dedicated