Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
540 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
|Designed by||Harry Weese and Associates|
|Neighborhood:||Near North Side|
- Hotel rooms: 1,217
- This was formerly the location of the Michigan Square Building, and Diana Court, both considered to be gems of Art Deco architecture. They were designed by Holabird & Root and built in the 1930’s and demolished in 1973.
- December 4, 2008: After several years of darkness the "Marriot" sign on the roof was once again illuminated. It used to be lit all the time, but around 2005 part of it burned out so that it read, "riot" and several months later was turned off entirely.
- December 9, 2008: The sign once again broke, displaying "M____ot" to the world.
- December 14, 2008: The "ot" burned out, leaving only a big red M.
- January 27, 2009: The full "Marriott" marquee was restored.
- February 11, 2009: The "arri" burned out, leaving only M__ot illuminated.
- March 6, 2009: The full "Marriott" marquee was restored.