|Formerly known as||
1060 West Addison Street
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Designed by||Zachary Davis|
- From ground-breaking on March 4, 1914 to opening day on April 23rd, 1914, construction took only six weeks.
- Original construction used approximately 160,000 bricks and 45,200 cubic feet of concrete, 1900 cubic feet of hollow tile, 1700 yards of plastering.
- Original length of the curved stand: 800 feet by 100 feet wide by 56 feet tall.
- Weeghman Park original seating capacity: 14,000
- 2013 seating capacity: 41,160
- Height of wall at bleachers: 11Â½ feet.Â At corners: 15 feet
- Distance from home plate to center field: 400 feet
- Scoreboard dimensions: 75 by 27 feet, 85 feet above the field.Â The clock is 10 feet in diameter. Â
- Developer: Charles H. Weeghman
- Wrigley Field is the second-oldest ballpark in the Major League, after Fenway Park in Boston (1912).
- Wrigley Field is the oldest National League ballpark.Â 2014 marks 100th season of Major League baseball at the park.
- The numbers on the scoreboard are still hand-turned.
- No batted ball has ever struck the scoreboard.
- Flags atop the scoreboard after games indicate win (white â€œWâ€ flag) or loss (blue â€œLâ€ flag).
- Wrigley Field is affected by wind conditions more than any other professional ballpark.
- Wrigley Field was nicknamed "The Friendly Confines" by Ernie Banks.
- Wrigley Field is only professional ballpark with an ivy-covered outfield wall.
- In 1925, the Wrigley Company built a smaller version of Wrigley Field (with added Spanish architectural details) in Los Angeles for the team's minor league franchise, the Los Angeles Angels. It was used in the filming of "The Pride of the Yankees" and several other baseball films before being demolished in 1969.
- From the 1930's to the 1970's, a building across from deep right-center field was topped by a neon sign advertising Baby Ruth candy bars. It was positioned in the line-of-sight of "Babe Ruth's called shot," and was highly visible once games were televised in 1940's.
- It was announcer Harry Caray who in 1982 began the tradition of singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the Seventh Inning Stretch.
- Chicago folk singer Steve Goodmanâ€™s well-loved 1981 song â€“ one of three he wrote about the Cubs, "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request," features Wrigley Field; after his death in 1984, his ashes were scattered over at the ballpark as described in the lyrics.
- Wrigley Field draws approximately 3 million fans each season.
- This was a filming location for the movie The Blues Brothers.
- This was a filming location for the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
- This was a filming location for the movie The Break-Up.
- This was a filming location for the movie A League of Their Own.
- This was a filming location for the television show ER.
- This was a filming location for the television show Crime Story.
- This was a filming location for the television show Chicago Hope.
- This was a filming location for the television show Prison Break.
- This was a filming location for the television show Perfect Strangers.
- This was a filming location for the television show My Boys.
- Wrigley Field has appeared in the cartoons The Simpsons and Family Guy.
- 1870's: Chicago National League baseball club formed, went by many names (White Stockings, Colts, Orphans, Remnants) until the nickname â€œCubsâ€ was first used in 1902.
- 1893: The team started played at West Side Park, bordered by what is now Taylor, Wood, Polk, and Wolcott Streets.
- 1907: The Cubs won the World Series
- 1908: The Cubs won the World Series
- April 23, 1914: Weeghman Park opened to the public. It was built by Charles H. Weeghman for the Federal League's Chicago Whales (or Federals) baseball team. The location was chosen because of its proximity to public transportation.
- 1915: The Federal League went out of business
- 1916: Weeghman bought the Chicago Cubs, moving them to Weeghman Park.
- April 20, 1916: The first National League game was played here. The Cubs beat the Cincinnati Reds.
- 1920: The Wrigley Company bought out Weeghman and renamed the ballpark Cubs Park.
- 1921: The Chicago Bears began playing football here.
- 1926: The ballpark was renamed Wrigley Field after chewing gum magnate, William Wrigley, Jr.
- 1927: The upper deck was added.
- 1929: The Cubs won the National League pennant
- 1932: The Cubs won the National League pennant
- 1934: The Cubs' iconic marquee was installed over the entrance at Addison and Clark. It was originally blue, and later painted red in 1960's.
- 1935: The Cubs won the National League pennant
- 1937: Wrigley Field underwent a major renovation. It included the planting of the famous ivy (a combination of Boston Ivy and Japanese Bittersweet) by Cubs General Manager Bill Veeck, as well as bleachers and the center field scoreboard designed by Holabird & Root.
- 1938: The Cubs won the National League pennant
- 1941: The scoreboard clock was added
- 1945: "The Curse of the Billy Goat" was supposedly placed on the team when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis and his pet goat were asked to leave a World Series game against the Detroit Tigers because the goat's odor was bothering other fans. Â Sianis was outraged, declaring, "Them Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more." The Cubs have not won a National League pennant since this incident. To this day, occasionally, dead goats will be left in front of Wrigley Field by aggrieved fans, especially when the Cubs are doing well. And also when they're doing poorly.
- 1970: After 50 seasons, the Chicago Bears played their last game here
- 1981: The Cubs and Wrigley Field were bought by the Tribune Company, but Tribune decided not to change the ballpark's name.
- 1981-83: New office space added, refurbished; ticket office built.
- 1984: New home clubhouse built
- 1988: Lights were added for night games. The first official night game was played August 9.Â This was the last Major League Baseball ballpark to install lights.
- 1989: Private boxes at mezzanine level replaced the press box and broadcasting booth, which were reconstructed on the upper deck. A food court was added.
- 1990: Visitorsâ€™ clubhouse was renovated
- 1994-95: New private boxes were added, bringing the total to 63.
- 1996: An elevator was added to third base concourse.
- February 1, 2004: This building was named a Chicago landmark
- 2005: The bleachers were expanded, a restaurant added, and the window to Sheffield Avenue created.
- October, 2009: The Cubs and Wrigley Field were sold by the Tribune Company to the Ricketts family for $845,000,000.
- 2000's: The long-standing practice of fans watching games for free from neighboring rooftops became increasingly controversial as some added bleachers. The Cubs and rooftop owners eventually reached a revenue-sharing agreement.
- June 11, 2010: After months of controversy, a massive Toyota sign, held aloft by steel poles 50 feet over sidewalk level, was added behind the left field bleachers.
- January 2013: A $500 million, five-year renovation plan was unveiled by the ballpark's new owners and received final approval by Chicago City Council in July.