Chicago Harbor Lock
|Also known as||
Chicago River Lock
108 North Streeter Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60611
|Designed by||Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago|
|Maximum length||600 feet/180 meters|
|Maximum depth||22 feet/6.72 meters|
|Neighborhood:||Near North Side|
- The change in elevation from Lake Michigan to the Chicago river varies from one to four feet.
- Though the lock is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, it is actually operated by a private company.
- An estimated 50,000 vessels go through the lock each year.
- An estimated 900,000 passengers go through the lock each year.
- An estimated 200,000 tons of cargo go through the lock each year.