Saint Alphonsus Catholic Church
1429 West Wellington Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60657
|Designed by||Adam Boos|
West Wellington Avenue
North Southport Avenue
West Oakdale Avenue
North Greenview Avenue
- January 22, 1882: The land for this church was bought from the Union Mutual Life Insurance Company for $9,000.
- September, 1882: The first church and school at this location were completed.
- June, 1889: Construction began on the current church.
- September 22, 1889: The cornerstone was laid.
- March, 1890: Services were held in Saint Gerard's Chapel for the first time.
- April, 1890: Saint Gerard's Chapel was finished.
- June 7, 1894: Construction began on the main portion of the church.
- 1895: The first architect died.
- March 17, 1895: The cross was lifted onto the steeple.
- October 3, 1897: The church was finished.