Chicago Architecture Info

Saint Chrysostom's Episcopal Church

Formerly known as All Saints' Mission
1424 North Dearborn Parkway
Chicago, Illinois 60610
Basic Information
Designed by Brown & Walcott (church)
Type holy place
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Bounding Streets:
North Dearborn Parkway
West Schiller Street
North Clark Street
West Burton Place
More Information
  • The bell tower was made possible by a gift of $50,000 by Richard T. Crane. When the tower was completed and fitted with bells, the carillon's first performance on April 17, 1927 was carried live on WMAQ radio.
  • Consulting architecture firm: Bennett & Parsons
  • January 15, 1893: All Saints' Mission was reorganized after the previous parish went bankrupt.
  • January 20, 1893: Thaddeus Snivley, the new church's first priest changed its name to Saint Chrysostom's.
  • March 26, 1894: Saint Chrysostom's Parish was incorporated.
  • July 24, 1894: Construction began on the first church, designed by Clinton J. Warren.
  • November, 1894: Construction finished.
  • December 19, 1898: The church was damaged by fire.
  • April 19, 1907: Rev. Snivley quit the parish. According to newspaper articles of the time, he was disgusted by his rich parishioners failing to come to Sunday services because they were distracted by bicycles, automobiles, golf, picnics, and parties.
  • 1912-1913: The house at 1344 North Dearborn was converted into a rectory.
  • February 8, 1914: The church burned.
  • April 12, 1914: The congregation returned to the church.
  • 1915: The church purchased the house at 1420 North Dearborn, and paid for it by selling the parish house at 1344.
  • 1922: Church addition and parish house by Clark & Walcott.
  • April 12, 1925: The last services were held in the old church.
  • May 24, 1925: The cornerstone for the new church was laid.
  • November 1, 1925: The first services were held in the new church.