|Formerly known as||Municipal Pier #2|
600 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
|Designed by||Charles Sumner Frost|
|Maximum length||3 feet/1 meters|
|Neighborhood:||Near North Side|
- Architect: Charles Sumner Frost
- Structural engineer: Edward Clapp Shankland
- There are more than 200 U.S. Navy planes at the bottom of Lake Michigan from failed training missions conducted from Navy Pier.
- 15,000 Naval airmen passed their training at Navy Pier during World War II.
- The Navy trained a total of 60,000 people at Navy Pier.
- 1914: Construction began.
- 1916: Construction was completed.
- 1917: The pier is used by the military and the Red Cross during the first World War.
- 1927: Municipal Pier is renamed Navy Pier.
- 1942: The U.S. Navy begins using Navy Pier for training operations.
- July,1946: The U.S. Navy closes its operations at Navy Pier.
- 1946: The University of Illinois Navy Pier opens at this location.
- 1965: The university moves to its current location on the city's southwest side and becomes known as the University of Illinois Chicago Circle.
- 1976: The disintegrating pier is renovated to mark the nation's 200th birthday.
- 1977: Navy Pier is named a Chicago landmark.
- September 13, 1979: Added to the National Register of Historic Places
- 1999: The Chicago Shakespeare Theater opens at Navy Pier.
- 2000: The Smith Museum of Stained Glass open at Navy Pier.
- *2007: The Chicago Children's Museum declares its intention to leave Navy Pier due to space constraints.