Chicago Architecture Info

The Sullivan Center

Formerly known as Carson Pirie Scott Flagship Store
Carson Pirie Scott and Company
Schlesinger and Mayer Store
33 South State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60603
Basic Information
Designed by Louis H. Sullivan
Type Retail
Floors: 12
Maximum height 207 feet/62 meters
Neighborhood: The Loop
More Information
  • Formerly: 1 South State Street, Chicago, Illinois 60603
  • Developer: Schlesinger and Mayer Department Stores
  • This building is connected by a tunnel to the CTA Red Line subway. The entrance, however, has been walled up.
  • 1904: This became a Carson Pirie Scott department store.
  • 1906: An addition was added to this building, designed by D.H. Burnham and Company
  • 1961: An addition was added to this building, designed by Holabird and Root
  • November 5, 1970: This building was named a Chicago landmark.
  • August 24, 2006: Select employees were told the State Street store will close in March of 2007.
  • March, 2007: This building closed. Plans were floated to redevelop it as a retail, offices, and more.
  • June, 2007: This building's name officially changed to the Sullivan Center.
  • September, 2010: This building was named #5 on Chicago Magazine's list of the Top 40 Buildings in Chicago.