400-410 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
|Designed by||Graham, Anderson, Probst & White|
|Maximum height||450 feet/135 meters|
|Neighborhood:||Near North Side|
- This building was designed by Charles Beerman.
- The building is a fusion of French Renaissance and Spanish Revival styles, and was inspired by the Seville Cathedral's Giralda Tower in Spain.
- According to the Chicago Tribune, the Wrigley Building is home to the world's only chewing gum wrapper museum. It is not open to the public.
- The terra cotta tiles are custom made in England, and each is tracked by computer to determine when it needs maintenance.
- The terra cotta tiles are glazed for easy cleaning, which was very important in the early decades of this building, as Chicago was much dirtier then than it is now.
- The clock faces are 19 feet, seven inches wide.
- The clock hands are made of redwood and are designed to bend in the wind.
- The clock's "big" hands are nine feet, two inches long.
- The clock's "little" hands are six feet, four inches long.
- This building was 453,000 square feet of rentable space.
- The Wrigley building has offices in the clock tower, both below and above the clock.
- The clock occupies the 25th and 25th floors of the building.
- A 1995 article in the Chicago Tribune reported that the top of the building's cupola is festooned with terra cotta flowers and lion heads. These can only be seen by members of the law firm which rents that space.
- January, 1920: Groundbreaking for the Wrigley Building.
- November 11, 1920: The cornerstone was laid for the main (south) tower.
- April, 1920: The south tower was completed.
- May, 1924: The north tower was completed.
- 1929: Radio station WBBM(AM) moved to the Wrigley Building from the Broadmoor Hotel.
- 1931: The skywalk was added.
- 1956: WBBM(AM) and WBBM-TV moved out of the Wrigley Building.
- June 19, 2005: The Chicago Tribune reported that the Wrigley company considered leaving its signature headquarters for more modern accommodations. The newspaper speculated that the building could be converted into residential condominiums.
- July, 2005: The Wrigley Building's banks of 1971 floodlights along the Chicago River were replaced with new lights on standards along Michigan Avenue. The new lights have more focused beams to reduce light pollution and make sleeping easier for people in nearby residential buildings. Wrigley agreed to pay the city $15,000 a year to use the sidewalk space.