Chicago Cultural Center
|Formerly known as||
Chicago Public Library
78 East Washington Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602
|Designed by||Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge|
- The dome over Preston Bradley Hall was designed by Jacob Holzer of Tiffany Glass and Decorating. It is 38 feet in diameter.
- 1920's: A plan was drawn up to erect a 1,320-foot-tall steel tower topped with an aircraft beacon above this building.
- 1930's: The exterior of the Preston Bradley dome was covered with concrete blocks to protect it.
- 1960's: The space between the Preston Bradley dome and its cover was illuminated, simulating the natural light that was intended to pass through it.
- 2008: The dome over Preston Bradley Hall was renovated by Holabird & Root, removing the cover and once again exposing it to sunlight as it was meant to be.